Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Hello Bluebird | Thinking of You with Love...

"I wrote in a song that in the long, long trip of growing, there are stops along the way...
~ Mister Rogers

Hello Bluebird Friends!

Christmas is only eight days away - to a child it must seem like a long, long trip of "are we there yet?"   Today I'm taking a look back through my own childhood stops along the way.

I love red, I do!   And I love Christmas with all that it brings.  But I am especially fond of Valentine's Day.  Valentine baskets, mailboxes, cards to create and color, cookies to bake and decorate -- February colored in pink and red; adorned in chocolate and lace!   Oh I'm in love with love itself!

And, with each and every Valentine card I create I wander down memory lane to second grade.  I drop a card into each doily trimmed basket and look forward to the party about to take place.  Sweets shaped like hearts and little candies that say, "Will you be my Valentine!"  YES!

So today I've created a Valentine's Day card for YOU using the stamps sets and the available companion dies:
I've also used the Stand Alone Die set, Gallery Frame #1 cut from red card stock.


How did I create this card?

I cut an A2 card base (top fold) in 110 lb Neenah Solar White card stock and set it aside.  Then I began stamping the images from the stamp sets listed above in Memento Ink (Tuxedo Black) and set them aside.  I also cut 2 white card stock panels (3.75 x 5.0 inches).   I die cut a heart from one, and ink blended the other with Distress Ink, Spun Sugar and a little Victorian Velvet.  Then I married the two with some adhesive, let it dry, and stamped my sentiment from the Banner Blessings set in VersaFine Ink (Black).  Sometimes I will do a "ghost" mock up that helps me with placement.  I die-cut the companion dies without stamping on them and move them around until I like the placement.

Satisfied with placement, I continue on.   I played with the idea of leaving the heart die-cut panel white, but decide to see what a contrasting color pattern might look like.  Hmm, I like that!


Now the fun begins - coloring!   All stamp images are colored with Copic markers.
  • Mouse = C00, C1;
  • Mailbox and Scarf = R22,24, and 27; E31, 32, 34
  • Bluebird = B00, B01; R00, R01
  • Flowers = B00, 01, 34, 64; R22, 24, 27; Y08
  • Leaves: BG 70, 72, G03
  • White Gel Pen
With all the images colored, I adhered them in place.  The only images raised with 3M adhesive tape are the mouse and bluebird.   I cut a slit in the mailbox opening and tucked one of the envelopes inside and that gives it a little height - enough that I can tuck an extra letter underneath.   The third letter is held by the little mouse.  I like to keep little negatives from dies, i.e., dots, hearts, etc.   They come in so handy for additional ephemera to put on your card.   For this card, thoughts of love using negative dots and hearts drift upward as the little bluebird gazes at the sentiment - Thinking of You with Love!

I hope you've enjoyed my card today.   Wishes for the Merriest of Christmases and a Happy New Year!  Be sure to visit the Hello Bluebird IG and Facebook galleries for new cards and inspiration from the design team.   Until next time ~

Sincerely yours,
Susie ~

5 comments on "Hello Bluebird | Thinking of You with Love... "
  1. This is so charming and delightful in every way, Susie! I love the vintage feel, too. You are a master at making sweet cards and the feelings you evoke with your writing style are like a warm hug. Thank you so much. I wish you and your family a beautiful holiday season. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne! Ah, thank you so much (smiling). I'm so glad you like the card. I think it's another testament of how easy it is to take the Hello Bluebird stamp sets from holiday to another. That's a real value in my humble opinion. I hope that you too have a wonderful Christmas season and a blessed New Year! Hugs, Susie ~

      Delete
  2. You have expressed everything I adore about Valentine's Day. Oh, how I loved those little Valentines and the doily-trimmed baskets or pockets hanging on the front of each desk. It's a fondest memory and your precious card helps bring it all back. So beautiful and sweet, Susie! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leslie! Valentine's Day was just the best! Growing up in the early 50's we didn't have malls in my small home town, so going downtown with my grandmother was such a treat. I loved all the window dressings in red and pink. My aunt Toni had a little bakery shop and we'd always stop in for a beautifully iced cookie. I'm glad my words evoked those same type of memories for you too. Merry Christmas dear friend. I hope you, Rich, Wally and Lulu have a peaceful, and blessed day.

      Delete
  3. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this card and I have all of the stamp sets and can't wait to have a go at it myself. Thank you for all of your wonderful creative ideas - they are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature