Saturday, February 3, 2018

Beautiful Winter Blues

Hi everyone!  I'm back today with another card created with inspiration from the magazine, House Beautiful.   How many times have you lamented that your creative mojo has got up and left the building?!  Many of us turn to Pinterest, Instagram, and other galleries for inspiration and a kick-start.  But, what about the tons of catalogs and magazines received in the mail everyday?  Before tossing them into the trash, I take a look and cut out what catches my eye, then create my own inspiration board - I can change them around until I have a grouping by color, design, theme, etc.  I can pen in sentiments I like, even write myself little idea notes.  Hey, what about doing one for the month?!   For those of us who love to create cards, scrapbook pages, or projects, it might be just the thing to give us that creative nudge.

I was looking around my art room and saw this small plate and a piece of greenery.  Aha! it's coming together.  I had just created a background with the beautiful 6x6 Leaves Background stamp from Simon Says Stamp and inked with Ranger Distress Faded Jeans and Stormy Sky.   Ooh, I'm liking it already.  I needed a contrast color.   Here comes my focal inspiration - the Dec/Jan issue of House Beautiful.  Gorgeous red against that beautiful winter blue.  
I pulled two stamp sets to layer on my oh so gorgeous background piece.  Lacy Scrolls stamp and coordinating dies from Altenew, and Beautiful Borders: Thanks set from Papertrey Ink.   I popped up the Beautiful Borders sentiment and tucked the florals underneath.  My focal panel is now ready to mat.  I had a few hearts left over from another project and used them sprinkled here and there instead of sequins.  I added some glossy accent for a little dimension.   I surprised myself at how easy this card came together.  I honestly believe it was the little extra time I took to build the inspiration board.  I found I wasn't sitting at my desk asking myself, what am I going to create.


I'm on my way out today with my camera in hand.  The winter blues have had me inside to long.  It's time to kick start that mojo!   

Sincerely,
Susie ~


5 comments on "Beautiful Winter Blues"
  1. Well, now... I have to say I like your idea for gathering inspiration. It sounds like just the sort of thing I'd enjoy. Sometimes I spend more time organizing and planning than actually stamping, but it's part of the process, the whole picture. Speaking of picture, the inspiration pieces you gathered up not only made for a beautiful card, they made for a lovely photo set up, as well. Now you've got me thinking. Sometimes I start with the stamp, sometimes the paper or even the ribbon, but starting with a gathering of inspiration pieces is another angle. Susie, this is so beautiful! Your eye for design, combined with beautiful stamps -- fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned at your foot stool, Leslie. I have loved your designs from the moment I started stamping. I remember looking at each one for the longest time, I'd analysis your coloring, and your layouts, in awe of it all! Layouts and pairing patterned paper continue to be a nemesis for me, and a reason I've started creating my own design boards. It seems to help me see the whole picture before starting and gives me a roadmap if you will for getting there. Thank you so much for your kind words and faithful visits. I also wanted you to know that I am about to start something very meaningful, but a little scary. I have been going to Magnolia Plantation and recently, Middleton Place Plantation on photo shoots with my husband, Vance. I know you know how much I love photography. I recently took some photo's that I am going to use for inspiration for a mixed media piece called, Eliza's Window. I hope it translate from my head to paper - keep your fingers crossed (smiling).

      Delete
    2. Ah, Susie, you make me want to go straight to my stamp room. I'm so happy to see your inspiring and beautiful cards here again. I'll look forward to any bit of your exciting new endeavor. You know I enjoy photography, as well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stacy. How sweet of you to come by my lonesome blog and leave such a nice comment. I'm so glad this card has resonated with you (smiling).

      Delete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature