Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Pen and Wash


Several years ago I was so inspired by the beautifully illustrated fall Starbucks cups that I created a card with one of the cups.  Copic pens were used to color my card front, and the sweet little mouse image is from the fabulous Penny Black.  
But... I was also inspired to pick up my Copic multi-liner pen and sketch a fall still life inspired by the doodle leaves on the Starbucks cup.  I started with a few loose lines, circles, and ovals. Hatching the pinecone seeds to emphasize the focal point, and doodle lines to provide a whimsical appeal to the leaves. 
This type of art is referred to as 'Line & Wash' or 'Pen & Wash'.  The wash part comes in when you add watercolor. I love the soft, forgiving nature that allows me to go outside the lines.  Doodle lines don't have to be prefect either (she smiles). My initial sketch above can stand alone as an ink drawing. But, with a little watercolor pencil, the sketch takes on depth and whimsical acorns look like upside cupcakes.
 Add some pan watercolor to the background and the mood softens even more. As if you'd found this on a foggy fall afternoon.  Many line and wash pieces are flat with no variations of hue.  Which appeals to you more, the line or the wash?  Or maybe both!   Because sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't!
Do something that makes your heart sing today.
Come, sit, stay a while.

Sincerely,
Susie ~


2 comments on "Pen and Wash"
  1. Wow! I love your watercolor piece - such beautiful watercoloring! Definitely do more this this soft watercoloring, love this! Can't wait to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my word, Susie, this makes my heart sing! I love either style, but the watercolor wash in the background of the second image is especially pretty. You have such a gift. I'd love to be able to draw like this and sometimes wonder if I should give it more of a try. It would probably be just another artistic frustration. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature