Sunday, January 20, 2019

Background Techniques

Hello friends!

Happy New Year!  I have taken a little break to catch my breath after the holidays, but I'm back and looking forward to sharing several cards with you today.

We are all inspired by our favorite card designers aren't we?   We look, study, practice, and fall in love with the different styles and techniques.   Today I'd like to share a card and technique that inspired me.   If you have been following me on my blog or on Instagram, Facebook, or Flickr, you know that I created a card not long ago using the smallest stamps in the beautiful set from Penny Black Stamps, Space Reserved #30-353 here.    The card was created by using the smaller stamps in the set as a background for the focal image.

Today, I'd like to share another card using Penny Black stamps and dies to create a custom background with text and images.   I was inspired by Laurie Schmidlin's card here.   I've been following Laurie for as long as I have been stamping and always learn something new.

I'm still in Valentine mode and love this holiday more than most I think (she smiles).  So I have taken Laurie's lead but with a twist in theme.

Products used: 80-011; 30-269; 30-216; 30-162; 51-440; 51-458

I've used text and images to create my custom background by stamping in a light ink the word, Love, from the stamp set, So Very Much #30-269 across my card panel which was cut using the die set, Elegant Stitching #51-440   Next, I stamped the little bouquet from Special Day #30-216  and the smallest rose from Eloquence #30-162 each time with a little darker ink.  This begins to build up the dimension without distracting from the focal image.


My focal point is the lovely Paper Scroll #51-458 cut twice; once from cards stock and the second time from vellum.  The sentiment is stamped and embossed using the set, So Very Much #30-269    It's always helpful when a designer shares her tips, so I'd like to share one of mine.  Don't over look your stamp sets AND your designer papers for items you may not have i.e., I didn't have any small blooms or bouquets other than what I had stamped in my background panel.  So I reached for my Penny Black designer paper pads and looked for small floral arrangements.   Beau Jardins #80-011 had just what I was looking for and in the color palette I needed.  I did a little fussy cutting as-well-as cutting a butterfly from the Paper Scroll die set #51-458 in gold mirrored paper.   All three elements balance and give the all important triad when designing.    The background panel is edged with a gold leafed pen (my favorite) that gives such an elegant touch.    A soft sentimental way to say, I Love you so very much!


And speaking of sentimental!  The first card I created when I began stamping was with a Penny Black wood mounted stamp called, Reach for the Stars #4078K  boy was I nervous!  It was a first all the way around - a card and a first blog post!   I have cherished this stamp from the moment I found it at a garage sale, and recently purchased a new wood mounted sentiment stamp, For the Stars #4075F to go along with my image.   So I think it fitting to close with this sweet little ballerina who is getting some assistance from her woodland friends.   What are you hopes and dreams for 2019?   Just remember to give thanks in between -  because it's never to late to reach for the stars!


Come. Sit. Stay awhile.  I think we're going to be friends!
 

4 comments on "Background Techniques"
  1. It's nice to share love as far as you can spread it and that's what's nice about Valentine's Day, I think. Susie, you have a magical way with stamps. You always have, but you just get better and better. I saw your cards on Instagram, but I can appreciate them so much more on a large screen. Simply beautiful! Those petite, pretty flowers and lovely background on the first, and utter sweetness with a touch of sentimentality on the second. I remember when Laurie first started her blog, so you took me down Memory Lane there, too. Stamping styles change so much. We all never stop learning and growing. You've been one of my favorites from the get go. Thank you for keeping on, Susie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Leslie! I'm so glad I took you down memory lane (smiling). Your encouragement means so much to me. I still look to designers such as yourself for the inspiration I apply to my designs now. I love seeing your work on IG now - I know it's difficult to publish on so many platforms, but I do love seeing your work there too. I have another card to photograph today and we have very grey skies here today. Fingers crossed (she smiles)

      Warm hugs,
      Susie ~

      Delete
  2. You are so talented. Your card is gorgeous. Your memory is precious. My serious hopes and dreams are always centered on the health and happiness of my son and husband. Without that, I have nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan! I think your hopes and dreams are those of a loving wife and mother. Our families mean the world to us don't they? Have a wonderful day, and come back and visit again. I can't wait to read your next blog post! (smiling).

      Delete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature