Friday, February 9, 2018

Eliza's Window

Hello friends,

I am taking a break between Valentine's Day cards to share something that so profoundly touched my heart that I knew I had to try and translate what I saw through my camera lens to paper. 
Last week my husband and I went to Middleton Place.   Middleton Place is an 18th century rice plantation and National Historic Landmark comprising 65 acres of America's oldest landscaped gardens, the Middleton Place House Museum and the Plantation Stableyards.   The gardens reflect the elegant symmetry of 17th century European design.   From 1678 when Edward Middleton settled in Charlestowne until the end of the Civil War the Middleton family owned 19 working plantations encompassing some 63,000 acres.  The Middleton's also owned more than 3,500 slaves to run those plantations over a 187 year period.

Meet Eliza Leach
(1891 - 1986)
Eliza Leach was a garden worker for 40 of her years before cooking in the Middleton Place Restaurant.  She was the last to live in the cabin now known as Eliza's House.  She lived as her predecessors before her.  She continue to chop her own wood for the fire and carry her water from the well.   A woman of spirit and true grit I'm sure.  It is unclear to me at this time whether Eliza was brought to America as a slave or if she had been born on the Middleton Place Plantation to slave parents.  What is clear is how profound Eliza's House affected my sensibilities.  I photographed the cabin and rooms but kept coming back to the sober and austere room that was Eliza's sleeping quarters.  A small wooden bed with probably some sort of mattress (maybe flour sack cloth filled with chicken feathers) and a quilt.  A wooden cross hung sideways above the bed.  A small wooden chair in the corner given by the lady of the Middleton.  Pegs on the wall to hang clothes and a small dresser.  I stood there by myself looking through one window and out the other - as if looking through a soul.  What kept Eliza at Middleton Place once she was free?  Was it familiarity, security, a love for the people of Middleton who became her family?  Maybe a little of all.  I just don't know.  I don't know if she was married or had children.   What did she do in the cool of the evenings.  Did she look out this window and dream, or did she just go about her business stoically.  I feel certain she was a spiritual person.  And I'd like to think there were a lot of prayers said as she sat in the wooden chair by the window.  
Eliza's Window
And I'm pretty sure at age 95 when she passed that the Lord took her by the hand and lead her home to freedom.   Well done good and faithful servant.
Homeward Bound
I spent the entire day on the grounds of Middleton Place soaking in as much as I could.  On the following Monday I began to sketch the window from my photograph thinking in terms of a mixed media piece.  But after creating the piece and photographing it I was able to see what I really wanted to convey.  I wanted people to see beyond the obvious, to see through a different lens. 
Eliza's Window

Have a lovely weekend
Sincerely,
Susie ~
5 comments on "Eliza's Window"
  1. Susie, I'm sure your post wasn't designed to make my eyes sting and my lip quiver, but it did. I had to walk away for a moment, gaze out my own window at my own limited view, and think about Eliza, living so humbly amidst the grandeur. I was just saying to my husband the other day that what I enjoy most about traveling and visiting new places is the time I spend sitting quietly and absorbing it, allowing the photograph to develop in my memory. I can't venture a guess as to Eliza's musings as she went about her day, but yours have affected me profoundly. At the end, you have this incredibly lovely work of art, which makes the waterworks want to start up all over again. Why do things of such beauty bring about this reaction? I can't even express how I feel about it. Have mercy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In answer to your question: We (you/I) see beyond the obvious and our spirit is touched by another life. It would be interesting to know more about Eliza and the lives touched by hers. I added the flowers in the piece because I felt Eliza would have liked that. The humble life of servitude included beauty too. My objective was to go beyond the obvious. Thank you for your wonderful visits, Leslie. I love seeing your smiling face.

      Delete
  2. Susie as I wrote on SCS, your words brought tears to my and when I saw your watercolouring, it took my breath away. Now I am seeing the original photograph I am even more in awe (if that's possible) of your talent. Reading Leslie's beautiful words above and your reply, has filled my heart with gratitude and peace. I wish the entire world could stop and gaze on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just had a drop a note on your blog after seeing this wonderful card...touches my heart and my soul...and is such a work of art as mentioned on SCS! Thanks you so much for sharing Eliza's story in words and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie,

    I just had to leave a comment as I just love the picture "Eliza's Window." My favorite kind of pictures are those that portray something that on the outset would not ordinarily seem to be anything special, but because of the history behind the picture, or the stories you can attribute to the picture, become magnificent. I am in the process of selling my house right now and it is difficult because there are many memories here. Buyers complain that the rooms are too small (10 feet X 10 feet) -- which was how bedrooms were built then. Then I look at Eliza's room and there is barely enough room for a bed and yet I am sure God moved in a mighty way in that room!!! I believe that Eliza spent her evenings sitting by the window and reading her Bible or humming gospel songs.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature